Keywords are basically are those words which tell the Google what the content is about and people can find your content using these keywords in Google search query and this question mostly asked by newbies bloggers what is keyword in SEO.
As a content writer and website owner, you should familiar with the keywords and what type of keywords use your competitors for content.
So if you want to rank your blog post higher than you should use relevant keywords about your topic which can crawl by Google to identify your content. You should know about keyword research tips that how people nowadays doing.
So here we share all the step by step guidelines what is keyword in SEO and how to do keyword research, which plays the main rule in keyword research.
What is keyword in SEO? A Step by Step Guide
Why keywords are Important?
Keywords are the heart of SEO and if you cannot optimize your content according to your relevant keywords then it hard to target your audience. So keywords are important because firstly it tells about the content that you provide about any specific topic, so you should identify these keywords which describe your content in a great manner to your audience.
Secondly, Google can easily analyze your content that what you tell in them. So keywords are these phrases which actually tell about whole the content which you write on the specific topic. Your goal should be toward your site that you derive organic traffic which you can only do by proper keywords research. So the keywords should be related to the user search query and you optimize your content according to them.
For example, if you write a blog post about cricket so you should target these kinds of keywords that users search for them and have less competition.
Types of keyword:
In SEO we have three types of keywords.
- Buying keywords
- Service Keywords
- Information keywords
In buying keywords, the website owner shares the price or amount of product. For example, if someone wants to buy a brand new iPhone mobile then the site owner can only share the price and specification of that mobile because the audience only needs to check the price.
If the user search for a mobile price then he/she only check the price of that mobile, he/she do not read further about the mobile what mobile need. So we should know about which keywords good for us while writing content.
In service keywords, someone search for any service. For example, if anyone searches for a car service station that’s mean the person only want to know about which service station nowhere near me. We cannot further expand them to tell the user the service station providing these kinds of features.
The Information keywords are now the keywords which are actually we interact with them. Information keywords are those keywords in which we share guidelines or information about a specific piece of a topic.
The information keyword can be divided further if searcher use “How” with any keywords then it means he wants to search info in the form of pictures or videos. Or if someone searches for example what is keywords in SEO then it means he wants to read the info in the form of text or if he wants to search with keywords how to do SEO then definitely he wants to learn SEO with some practical work.
Short tail and long tail keywords
long tails and Short tails are these kinds of keywords which also discussed in the section of keyword research.
Short tail keywords:
Short tail keywords are less than 3 words. For example “engagement rings”. Short tail keywords also called the “head term”.
For example, if you want to derive a tone of traffic to your site which is the aim of every site owner but there is a competition more than long tail keywords and it harder for you to rank these short tail keywords because the there are competition high, cost high and high search volume but low conservation rates.
- Search volume high.
- Competition high
- Low conservation rate
- an intent purchase is low
- focus low
Long tail keywords:
The long tail keyword is little different from a short tail keyword. It may have more than three words e.g. “diamond engagement ring” or “white diamond engagement ring”. Long tail keywords are not so broad and not bring more traffic but the customers who search using long tail keywords are looking more interested or needy.
On the internet, more than 70% of searches are from long tail keywords because the user cannot search for a single piece of content. For example, if the user wants to make a cake then he/she may be searched using creamy chocolate cake instead of chocolate cake because in chocolate cake there may be a lot of other recipes or kind of cakes.
- Competition low
- Conservation rate high
- High intent to purchase
- Low search volume
How to do keyword research: what is keyword in SEO
Keyword research is actually using these kinds of keywords which used by the people for finding any piece of content. It’s possible if you target this kind of keyword which using in each search queries of Google most and there are fewer sites which ranked.
Here is the complete guide that how you can to do the keyword research for your site and you will know that what is the keyword in SEO.
Make a list of important and relevant topics which you will write for the site:
If you are a regular blogger then you should think about the upcoming topics which you want to write for your site. Think about these topics which are important for your business, you must have 6-7 topics which you list down and these are which specific with some keyword later in the process.
Choosing keywords by keyword research tool:
In this step, we will use the online keyword research tools to choose the keyword for a blog post. There are many tools which use for keyword research but one of the popular and suggest by many SEO expert keyword research tool is google adword.
So we will use the Google AdWords keyword planner to do the keyword research.
As we discussed in the previous part that we will target only long tail keyword for our blog post so here we take the example of that how to do keyword research.
- Sign up the account of google adword as shown in below.
- Now enter your keyword which you research for your content.
- Select these keywords which have more than 3 words to mean long tail keyword and make a list of all these which have more than 1000 volume, medium competition and $1 CPC.
- Enter your Keyword in Google query box in the form of that your keyword is in double quotation like “your keyword”. In that case, the searches must be 10 lakh or less.
- In this way, you should have an extension of Mozbar which tell the DA(Domain Authority) and PA(Page Authority) of each site which optimizes for this keyword. You should check and note all these sites which DA and PA less than 30. Thatswhy it will easy to rank for that.
- By using “your keyword” focus to find out these keywords in which at least two general niche site e.g YouTube, Facebook, or any other site which are not niched specific comes in the search result. Also, parasite pages which have no concern with the search query.
- After this, you check the keyword that how many numbers of site use this keyword in his title and URL by putting the keyword intitle and inurl with your main keyword. For example, intitle:”your keyword” and as well for inurl:”your keyword”. If 1000 or less than use the main keyword in his blog title or URL than you should mark that keyword to do the further research.
- Now its move forward to do the further keyword research, analyze all site with “your keyword”. And mark these site who do not use the main keyword h1,h2, meta tags, meta description, and alt text.
- You can analyze all these sites with mozbar that which site optimize his keyword for all these terms. simply open the site and click on an above icon as shown in below.
And you can check them by keyword competition analysis online tool. Just enter your keyword and know all the weak SEO of all these sites.
This is more important in SEO if all these sites who cannot fulfill the criteria of on page SEO and if you will optimize them and fill them then its more chances you rank for that specific keyword.
Final words: what is keyword in SEO
No doubt keyword research is an important part of SEO and if you have no idea what is keyword in SEO and how to do the keyword research then you should learn them. If you only do the proper keyword research then it plays a good impact on site traffic.
If you have any query regarding this piece of content or any question then you can ask in a comment section.